June 2010

June 2010
Welcome Rain

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kitchen Window Beauties!







My kitchen window serves me well. It is the place where great ideas bubble up and profound insights are realized. Well, maybe!? And of course it is most often entry into my backyard nature, especially when weather or life’s other events keep me inside. This morning was no exception.

Peeling the last of my fresh and deliciously dripping Georgia peaches, I looked up to see goldfinches at the left feeder and a ruby throated hummingbird on the right. As usual, by the time my hands were cleaned and the camera was found, they were gone, but not for long. To my delight many flew into the feeders, not all goldfinches nor ruby throated hummingbirds, but others as well. A few agreed to have their beauty photographed as they dined, and only too late did I ask myself why I hadn’t removed the window screens that I usually do for the summer.

The goldfinches have always been such a delight to see when they fly through and visit the feeder, often in numbers, families I suppose. I must study up on their habits, but I now remember how well they love the old fashioned Black-eyed Susans, wildflowers actually, and many other of the yellow flowers that are fairly prolific in the garden right now. Just yesterday I had almost cut back the Black-Eyed Susans which are looking really bedraggled now, but I was reluctant, wanting to give them one last stand. I’m so glad I left them to host those little golden jewels.

No comments:

Post a Comment