June 2010

June 2010
Welcome Rain

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pompeii Dust, Dirty Clothes, and Asters




Sitting amongst piles of dirty clothes hastily unpacked from my suitcase last night, I long for that morning wake up call of unbelievable sunrises and Tyrrhenian Sea breezes. But right now I can be happy to settle for this gorgeous 62 degree, sun filled morning in Georgia.

No matter that I suffered from a considerable lack of sleep (5 hours in the last 40), the first place I headed on setting down the suitcases, was my back yard garden. Two days of welcomed rain prior to our arrival has made everything (well almost everything) in the garden stand up straight and salute my return. Even having just seen the marvelous Villa Cimbrone gardens of Ravello, my backyard beauties stand the test. The profuse blooms of the purple asters, recently moved to a new spot in the garden, demonstrate their happiness with quite a show. The bright yellow swamp sunflowers, given to me by a neighbor and just budding when we left home, are happy to take the place of the faded summer phlox. My much awaited lavender mums burst with buds promising to open most any day. And all of this to a backdrop of bright blue skies and gentle fall breezes coaxing the maples to begin their transformation.

And so as I return from ten days spent on the glorious Amalfi Coast of Italy, I do so knowing that the Piedmont of Georgia offers its own special beauty, comparable to most any place on the globe. Time to shake the Pompeii dust from my shoes and start the wash, comforted by awesome memories and thoughts of the colorful autumn that my little corner of the world promises me.

No comments:

Post a Comment